As I’ve mentioned before, my husband is pretty spoiled. In addition to making him homemade muffins every week for his breakfast, I send him to work with a healthy lunch. I try to get creative because eating a sandwich everyday can get pretty monotonous.
I also use this opportunity to try out new things, some of them are a big hit, others, not so much. I love this salad because it’s healthy, tasty and versatile. You can make it into a meal by adding a protein, or use it as a side. I usually put grilled chicken in, but shrimp or steak would be awesome too. You can also change up the vegetables to whatever suits your fancy.
Quinoa has gotten a lot of attention lately as a superfood. It’s not only rich in protein, it contains twice the amount of fiber than most grains. Quinoa is a great choice for vegetarians, as it not only contains a substantial amount of protein, it’s also a good source of iron.
This is very easy to throw together, the only time consuming part being the chopping. It keeps in well for a few days. This recipe made enough for 3 lunches.
Quinoa Vegetable Salad
Use either as a side or add protein and make it a meal. Easy, nutritious and packed with flavor.
- 4 Cups Cooked quinoa (I like the organic tricolor from Trader Joe's)
- 1 Cup Diced Roma tomato or halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Chopped celery
- 1/2 Cup Yellow, green or red pepper
- 1/2 Cup Red onion
- 1 Cup Chopped Persian cucumber (these are the smaller super crunchy ones)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/4 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbls Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper generously
- 8 oz Chopped grilled chicken
- 1 lb Grilled shrimp
Cook quinoa according to package instructions and set aside to cool.
Chop vegetable and mix into quinoa.
Top with cilantro and Feta cheese. Add optional protein.
Dress salad slowly, I never use as much as I make. Mix well and refrigerate. Easy!