10 Holiday Foods that shoulds be on Santa’s Naughty List
The holiday season is in full swing and along with it comes tempting delights around every corner. Time to loosen up those rigid diet plans and have some fun, be festive. However, if you devour every treat without discretion, you’re sure to put on that dreaded holiday weight. Pick and choose wisely, and you can indulge without regret.
Here are some holiday favorites that should be left off your Christmas list.
1. Eggnog – Complete waste. First of all, if I’m going to drink that many calories, there better be LOTS of alcohol involved. In addition, eggnog is basically comprised of sugar and fat, not the best thing for your waistline or your health.
2. Holiday Coffee Drinks from (ahem) that coffee shop we all know and love – As delicious and festive as these are, they are full of sugar and calories. Having one or two during the season is fine, but having one daily because they are around for a limited time, probably isn’t the best idea.
3. Fruitcake – I didn’t think people actually ate fruitcake anymore, but they were selling giant ones at Costco, so somebody must be. In my opinion, fruitcake is SO not worth it. Full of sugar and corn syrup, major yuck.
4. Candied Yams – Unnecessary, yams are delicious and sweet on their own. Most common recipes for candied yams call for 6 cups of sugar. 6 cups! I can think of a lot of more delicious ways to rot my teeth.
5. Glazed ham – I don’t like ham because it looks too much like the animal it comes from. This bums me out because I love pigs. Glazed hams are cured with salt and then glazed with sugar. This packs a sodium punch like you wouldn’t believe. If you eat this you may not be able to put your rings on the next day.
6. Pecan Pie – Pecans on their own have a lot of great health benefits but they are also a high calorie nut. Combine that with tons of sugar, butter and the dreaded corn syrup, and you have a big slice of no thank you.
7. Yorkshire pudding – I know my beloved British friends aren’t going to appreciate this one, but I have to add it to the list. Reason being, it was originally made so as not to waste the fat drippings of the meat being cooked. So we have flour, salt and melted beef fat, sounds yummy!
8. Plum Pudding – Made with molasses, brandy, candied fruit, and traditionally baked in a greased and sugared pudding mold. Need I say more?
9. Popcorn Balls – doesn’t sound so bad, until you find out that delightful glue that holds them together is made from sugar and corn syrup. These are on Santa’s naughty list for sure.
10. Peanut Brittle – This may be worth it for me. I LOVE peanut brittle. I try to forget the fact that they are hardened pieces of sugar, corn syrup and butter. The forgetting is made possible by wine of course.
There you have it. These are just my humble opinions. We all have different holiday dishes that we are willing to blow our healthy eating plans for.
Whatever that may be, decide which ones are really important to you and limit the other stuff. That way you can have your cake and eat it too! Sorry, I couldn’t resist!
What is your holiday must have treat? Comment below and let us know.