Avocados are the fruit de jour. According to the Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, consumption of avocados has spiked significantly in the last 20 years. From 1989 to present day, it has gone from approximately one pound to seven pounds per capita. Marketing avocados as a health food has played a major factor in the increase of these numbers. Touted as an excellent source of monounsaturated oil, otherwise known as “good fat” has health fanatics eating them daily. In addition to good fat, avocados are an excellent source of potassium, containing 60 percent more than bananas. Despite being calorie dense, avocados can aid in weight loss and maintenance. Foods high in healthy fats can increase feelings of satiety and keep you feeling full longer.
Not only are avocados full of nutrition, they are extremely versatile. They can be used in many different ways. Guacamole is one of the most popular uses for avocados, and avocado toast is quickly becoming a trend. However, there are some other uses that you may find surprising. Below are 5 unexpected ways to utilize an avocado. Have a open mind! Some taste better than you would expect.
1. Avocado Ice Cream – sounds gross right? But think about how creamy an avocado is, and how that could add rich texture to homemade ice cream. Personally if the ice cream is green, it will remind me to much of an avocado, so I would opt for the chocolate version. Either way, it’s surprisingly delicious. Check out this recipe from Relish, you won’t be disappointed.
2. Avocado Brownies – what better way to add rich creaminess to a brownie recipe, not to mention some healthy fat. Try this recipe from the Healthy Maven, she’s your go to girl when it comes to anything avocado.
3. Use as a substitute for Mayo – Chicken salad, turkey sandwiches, deviled eggs, salad dressings, all of these would be much more flavorful with avocado mayo. Try this recipe from Girl Makes Food, it’s vegan to boot.
4. Avocado Pancakes – There are lots of different ways to dress up pancakes, but have you ever thought about adding avocado to the mix? If not, you should! If you prefer your pancakes hearty and dense these are the ones for you. Try this recipe from Running To the Kitchen.
5. Avocado Fries – As if french fries weren’t fattening enough, now we are going add calorie dense avocado! Yes, this will be more calorie laden than your traditional french fry, but it will also be a lot healthier and keep you feeling full longer. Foodbeast did a nice job with this one.
There you have it, some off the wall ways to use avocado. My favorite is still some good old fashioned guacamole. What’s yours?