Those of us that workout on a regular basis know that it can become tedious doing the same workouts day in and day out. Not to mention, those exercises you’re doing over and over will stop working, as your muscles becomes accustomed to them. Your body needs to be challenged on a regular basis or your results will plateau.
So what do you do when you start to feel gym burn out? Here are a few ideas to spice up your workout and beat the boredom blues.
1. Take it Outside – Weather permitting, I realize not everyone has the luxury that I do, of being able to exercise outside year round. If you can though, it’s a great way to change up a boring routine. Hike, walk, jog, run, climb stairs, just do it away from the gym. The change of scenery will invigorate and inspire you.
2. Sprint – Sprinting is a great way to change up a boring cardio session. You can do this anywhere, on a treadmill or outside. Even a small hill will do just fine. Sprint up the hill as fast as you can 10 times. You will be very SORE the next day, trust me.
3. Challenge Yourself – Make a competition out of your workout. For example, give yourself one month to be able to complete 10 pull-ups, or do as many burpees as you can each day, until you can do 50 in a row without stopping. Being focused on a specific goal can help with boredom, and as a bonus take your fitness to the next level.
4. Train for an Event – If you need a tangible goal, enter an event that interest you, and train for it. This could be a marathon, half marathon, triathlon, perhaps a 5K if you are just starting out. Whatever it may be, having that date looming on your calendar will motivate you. It’s also fun and inspiring to track your progress.
5. Find a Partner – Exercising with another person is a great way to have fun with your workouts. Find someone that’s at a similar fitness level as you, and go for a long run together. It’s amazing how fast 5 miles can fly by, when you have some interesting gossip to discuss!
6. Try New Equipment at Your Gym – We all have our routines and our go to equipment at the gym. Then there’s the equipment that we have no idea how to use, and therefore steer clear of. Get out of your comfort zone, go ask a trainer to instruct you, and give them a try. You might find you really like one, and end up adding it to your regular rotation.
7. Make a New Playlist – Music can affect your workout big time. Ever been in a class that could have been great, but the music sucked? Change up your playlists to something totally different, something that will get you pumped up and ready to kill it.
8. Take a Break – Sometimes the best thing to beat gym burn out, is a nice long break. As scary as that sounds, a week or two away from the gym, won’t derail your fitness program, or cause your muscles to atrophy. Having a proper break from working out can reinvigorate your love for it. Letting your body rest and recover will help you come back strong and ready to kick butt.
Don’t ignore your feelings of burnout, if you push through it, you run the risk of eventually quitting altogether. Remember you want exercise to be a part of your lifestyle, not a means to an end. Have fun with it!
Any other ideas to change up your routine? Share your comments and let us know!